Living life in beautiful Eugene, Oregon!

Be Happy...Be Peace...Be Love

Spread Peace...Speak Love...BE

Thursday, February 10, 2011

What?!

Thursday.
I decided tonight I would clean out the freezer.  Okay, not a fun plan to be sure, but I was determined to get it done.  While on this grand adventure I did discover some spaghetti.  Hmm, looks like I'd forgotten about that, hahaha.  Then I decided to a nice salad would go will with said spaghetti; off to the market I go.
Now I live practically next door to MOC (I love this place!).  As I was perusing the fresh veggies I needed, I found tomatoes for various prices and then then the real shocker.  As I was going thru the tomato options it became alarmingly clear the price of these wonderous fruits had increased considerably.  And by considerably, I mean WOW from .68/# just last week to $2.99# and these were the least expensive Roma's!
Mind you, we're not just talking the organic Romas either, we're talking the reg Romas.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Surely the signage was misplaced,right?...Wrong!  As I walked thru I checked out the grape tomatoes, the cherry tomatoes , the vine ripe tomatoes...I could go on and on.  Everywhere I looked the price of tomatoes had increased by upwards of $2+ /#. 
Well, I needed tomatoes, so I picked up 3 smallish Romas and pd nearly $1.50.  When I reached the check out, I asked if there had been something happening with the price of tomatoes and explained what I had found.  I was greated with a surly, " well, they were on sale".  Okay, but seriously to jump that high?!  We had a good laugh about it and off I went home with my expensive salad makings.

~Boy will I be glad when Farmer's Market opens here.  I'm stocking up on tomato plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment